Friday, April 25, 2008

Zodiac Suite - Norrie Paramor

Here's a very unique album and one that I haven't really seen posted in other 'blog'. It's a monoral album from the late 50's with original compositions from the artist himself, Norrie Paramor. My personal connection with the album was from my dad. This album was played so often that the spindle hole was expanded due to the many drops onto the platter. My ultimate favorite is Capricious Capricorn. Spotlighted in the 'Sample Box'. These are very rich string arrangements with quite the flair. I'm not really sure if it was ever released in stereo. Regarless to me, it's a fantastic album. I hope you enjoy it as well. Technically due to it's multiple plays, it's a bit worn and you'll detect a few pops/clicks in the digital convertion. Course, like many of us, some of the scratches and pops became part of the memorable recording. Enjoy!

4/26/07: Audio Update
It dawned on me after posting, this MP3 format was a transfer that I did many years ago when I first got a CD burner. Similar to a tape recorder, it just recorded exactly what was pumped into it. No options for cleaning or equilization. So, here's an update of cleaning and equilization. I'm leaving the original just in case someone wants to compare. Click 'Audio Update' for the link.

Additional information that I found while reading the back cover, the album was recorded in 1957. Further investigation found it is available in stereo. Sorry that dad purchased the monoral version. It's still great sound! Enjoy!

2 comments:

THXjay said...

Hi,

Just found you through Lounge Legend links.

This is a nice rare album :)

Greta site!

Lemoncat,, said...

a kind of cool biblical feel to this fine platter.. thanx for this share ES. :)