Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sweet with a Beat





















To get us through the rest of the summer, we've chosen a compilation 6 record album produced by Reader's Digest in 1972. This particular album was purchased for just the sake of it. There were no strong intentions to drive the purchase. The surprise was listening. I felt as I took a huge step back in time when I used to listen to WRFM FM 105 from NYC in the 70's. Reader's Digest was known to compile some of the more unique RCA instrumental artists. Here are some of the best that you can recall from those great EZ listening stations from the past.


We're planning on posting each of the six records that make up Sweet with a Beat for the remaining weeks. It makes for some great summer time listening. We begin with record one, Gentle On My Mind (side 1) and Linger Awhile (side 2). Our favorite choice here is Linger Awhile. ENJOY!




Gentle On My Mind
Close to You
Rain
With a Little Help from My Friends
It's Impossible
Angelina
Linger Awhile
Come Saturday Morning
Midnight Cowboy
Early in the Morning
A Warm Shade of Ivory
Wives and Lovers


3 comments:

Inkydog said...

Very much enjoyed the first of the series and am looking forward to hearing the rest. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sweet! (with a beat, too!) Thanks, looking forward to the others. Readers Digest and Longines released sum stinkers and some gems. This one is mostly the latter.
--Bill

fixxitt In Georgia said...

Thought The title of the box sounded a bit familiar so dug out my copy. Mine was released in 1971 with the same blurred girl on the front, a different list of tracks (Little Green Apples - The Shadow Of Your Smile - More - Try to Remember - Close To You - Summer Wind and 102 Others" There are 9 records with 108 tracks. I surely wish I had a way to share this with you and others, but alas, my talents stop far short of you and other great bloggers.

Thanks for sharing your treasures. I'll raid your ear candy pantry from time to time and probably not clog the message board with praise or thanks, but know that every one of the downloads will be appreciated and treasured.

fixxitt